Hey, friends! It’s Saturday in Alpharetta-Milton and I’m back in your inbox with everything you need to know about what’s happening in town.
First, today’s weather:
Partly sunny. High: 90 Low: 70.
Here are the top five stories in Alpharetta-Milton today:
- The City of Milton’s athletic facility along Cox Road is undergoing renovations and a major makeover. The transformed complex should have a new name when it reopens. The City is seeking ideas from citizens through noon on Wednesday, Aug. 3, email your suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org. (Press Release Desk )
- Yesterday, Jul. 22, the Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis petitioned the court to retry the case against Claud Lee “Tex” McIver III. McIver’s murder conviction was overturned by the Georgia Supreme Court earlier this month. (FOX 5 Atlanta)
- The City of Alpharetta launched a new transparency portal to make it easier for the public to stay informed about infrastructure and capital projects. The portal is powered through ClearGov.com. (The Atlanta Journal Constitution)
- On Jul. 19, the Alpharetta Development Authority approved a tax break for redeveloping the historic Bailey Johnson School into an office complex, a $92 million project. The school was named after Alpharetta blacksmith George Bailey and former slave Warren Johnson, who were integral to the school’s founding. Kimball Bridge Venture Partners and Crescent Communities, the project’s developers, plan to name the new office complex “Garren,” a combination of the first names of the men the school was named after originally. (Appen Media)
- A new Kidz Bop Live tour is stopping in Alpharetta on Aug. 14. The show will be at the Ameris Bank Amphitheater. (CBS 46)
Today in Alpharetta-Milton:
- Alpharetta Farmers Market At Alpharetta City Center (8:30 AM)
- Taste Around Town At Union Hill Park (12:00 PM)
- LiveLOUD Concert on The Green with Acoustic Soul At Crabapple Market (6:00 PM)
- Colombian Independence Latin Night Atlanta At Tony’s Sports Grill (9:00 PM)
From my notebook:
- The Milton Police Department trained with the City of Milton Fire Department and King’s Ridge Christian School to become even better prepared in the incident of an active shooter. The full-scale, live scenario tests the MPD tactics and officers’ abilities. Then MPD can make any changes from what was learned from the scenario. (Facebook)
- The Alpharetta City Council will conduct two meetings on Monday, Jul. 25. The regular meeting will begin at 6:30 pm Click here for the agenda and packet materials. Then, during
a recess of the regular meeting, City Council will convene in Executive Session for purpose of discussing matters of litigation. Both meeting will be held at Alpharetta City Hall, located at 2 Park Plaza in Downtown Alpharetta. The meetings will be live-streamed and available on our YouTube channel (here) or via our Online Meeting Portal (here). Or you can attend in-person. If you are attending in-person, please complete a Speakers Card upon arrival or before-hand here and hand it in to the City Clerk prior to the start of the meeting. (Facebook)
- Fulton County Library System has a new yoga class! Relax with us while learning yoga poses that will allow your body to stretch and gain flexibility. No registration needed. Please bring a mat or towel. Call Ellen Baxter at 404-613-5590 or email Ellen.Baxter@fultoncountyga.gov for more information. (FCLS)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- Colombian Independence Latin Night Atlanta @ Tony’s Alpharetta Sat July 23rd (July 23)
- Celebration: Music for Joyous Occasions (July 24)
- Steven Quartly Annual Summertime Artist Show (July 30)
- Intentional Parenting Summit: Presented by North Point Community Church (July 31)
- Add your event
Gigs & services:
You’re officially in the loop for today! I’ll catch up with you bright and early tomorrow with another update.
— Sean Peek
About me: Sean Peek is a writer and entrepreneur with a degree in English Literature from Weber State University. Over the years, he has worked as a copywriter, editor, SEO specialist, and marketing director for various digital media companies. He currently co-owns and operates content creation agency Lightning Media Partners.