Big Bash Party on New Years Eve Goes On, Despite Players Testing Positive for COVID-19

The New Years Eve Big Bash League match will continue as planned in Adelaide tonight, despite four players on the Sydney side testing positive for COVID-19.

The match was in doubt after four members of the Sydney Thunder team tested positive and were placed in isolation.

Those tests were carried out after someone at the camp tested positive for the rapid antigen test.

The rest of the team has tested negative for PCR and can play.

Cricket Australia CEO Alistair Dobson said the clubs and SA Health have worked together to ensure “additional security measures are in place.”

“We thank Strikers, Thunder and SA Health for their hard work today to ensure this match can continue,” he said.

Last night’s game between the Melbourne Stars and the Perth Scorchers was postponed after the Stars registered a positive case.

Since then, that club has confirmed that seven players and eight staff members have tested positive.

General manager Blair Crouch said the club is working with Cricket Australia on their immediate schedule and will provide an update as soon as possible.

“First of all, we wish all those affected by this outbreak a speedy and speedy recovery,” he said in a statement.

“The health and safety of our players and staff will continue to be our priority, especially with the challenges presented by the new variant of Omicron.”

Sydney’s ashes test has also been thrown as a curve ball, and batter Travis Head tested positive for the virus.

It will not be available for selection for the fourth test of Ashes, which will begin in Sydney on January 5.

.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published.