A London dog owner has warned others of a bone she bought for her pet which she says caused internal bleeding after it splintered and “cut up his organs”. The woman warned locals in a Wimbledon community Facebook group that she bought the bone from Home Bargains and was shocked when it splintered whilst her two-year-old dog ate it.
She claims that her dog swallowed the splinters and they caused potentially fatal injuries on March 9. Now, she said she faces a nervous wait to see whether the dog can avoid infection from the cuts inside after expensive emergency treatment at a vet practice saved him initially . The dog is said to be on a strong course of antibiotics and his owners pray these can keep a potentially deadly infection at bay.
The bone the owner claims his dog ate was a Mediterranean Natural Ham bone, made by the Mediterranean company in Spain. Two other owners said their dogs had recently eaten the bone and were “scared” although they did not suggest they were aware of any injuries.
The London dog that’s still searching for his forever home after more than 500 days in a rescue center
The dog owner said: “Do not give your dog bones, especially these bones from Home Bargains. Our dog has had the bone and chewed it up, he then swallowed sharp bones which have pierced his internal organs and now he’s bleeding from the inside. Vet bills are looking at thousands and we still don’t know if he’s gonna pull through. We are heartbroken. Pray for him, he’s not even two yet.”
The owner, who said she is emotionally drained by the experience, provided an update after the initial post and said: “Update, he is doing really well, he’s been syringe-fed but now he is eating tiny amounts which is a great sign. Vets have said there is a high risk of him catching a fatal infection called Peritonitis due to the bones piercing his intestines but he’s on antibiotics so hopefully he can dodge this awful infection.”
Peritonitis is a redness and swelling of the tissue that lines the belly or abdomen. This tissue is called the peritoneum. A spokesperson for Home Bargains said: “We were very sorry to hear of this unfortunate event, and we are liaising closely with the manufacturer and the complainant.”
The bones’ producer, Mediterranean Natural, was also approached for comment but did not reply.
Do you wish to share a story? Contact email@example.com