Hurricane season has arrived. Are you prepared? - The Donalsonville News - petsitterbank

Hurricane season has arrived. Are you prepared? – The Donalsonville News

After seeing first hand the destruction and surviving the devastation of Hurricane Michael in October of 2018, the beginning of Hurricane Season is front page news in Seminole County, and for residents in all communities in southwest Georgia.

With the 2022 Hurricane Season now officially here, beginning on June 1, Georgia Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner John F. King is reminding all Georgians that now is the time to prepare and to revisit homeowners, renters, or business insurance policies to ensure sufficient coverage for potential damages from future storms.

Forecasters at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), a division of the National Weather Service, are predicting above-average hurricane activity this year — which would make it the seventh consecutive above-average hurricane season. NOAA’s outlook for the 2022 Atlantic hurricane season, which extends from June 1 to November 30, predicts a 65% chance of an above-normal season, a 25% chance of a near-normal season and a 10% chance of a below-normal season season.

For the 2022 hurricane season, NOAA is forecasting a likely range of 14 to 21 named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher), of which six to 10 could become hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher), including three to six major hurricanes (category 3, 4 or 5; with winds of 111 mph or higher). NOAA provides these ranges with a 70% confidence.

Seminole Countians and residents throughout the area are encouraged to have at least five days of supplies. These supplies include food, water, medicine, batteries, etc. Each family and business is advised to be adequately stocked and prepared to face this hurricane season.

Every home should have a five-day Disaster Survival Kit. At a minimum, your Disaster Survival Kit should contain the following: Food – at least enough for five days for every person; Water – at least one gallon per day (three gallons per person, plus extra for the pets!); Blankets/Pillows; Cash – banks and ATMs won’t be open during power failures; Cell phone car chargers; Clothing – seasonal/rain gear/sturdy shoes; First Aid Kit (including medicines and prescription drugs); Flashlights/Batteries; Keys – an extra set of home and car keys; Mosquito spray; Radio – Battery operated and NOAA weather radio; Special items – for babies and the elderly; Toiletries (hygiene items/moisture wipes); Toys (books and games); Tools – keep a set with you during the storm; Important Documents (in a waterproof container) – insurance policies, medical records, bank account/mortgage deeds/titles, Social Security cards, birth certificates, etc.; Pet care items including proper identification/immunization records/medications, ample supply of food and water, a carrier or cage, muzzle and leash; And don’t forget to fill your vehicle’s fuel tank.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published.