Nick Kyrgios to face Canberra court on common assault charge - petsitterbank

Nick Kyrgios to face Canberra court on common assault charge

Australian tennis star Nick Kyrgios is due to face court next month in relation to one charge of common assault, believed to be related to a former girlfriend.

ACT Police confirmed on Tuesday night that a 27-year-old man from Watson, a suburb of Canberra, was scheduled to face the ACT Magistrates court on August 2 in relation to one charge of common assault.

Kyrgios didn’t comment as he passed journalists on the way to practice at Wimbledon on Tuesday.

Nick Kyrgios makes his way past media to the practice courts at Wimbledon, ignoring requests for comment on charges he faces in Australia. (Getty)
Kyrgios’ barrister, Jason Moffett from Key Chambers, told The Canberra Times he had been briefed on the matter and the player was aware of the situation.

“It’s in the context of a domestic relationship,” he told the newspaper.

“The nature of the allegation is serious, and Mr Kyrgios takes the allegation very seriously.

“Given the matter is before the court … he doesn’t have a comment at this stage, but in the fullness of time we’ll issue a media release.”

Moffett didn’t respond to calls from 9News late on Tuesday.

Nick Kyrgios checks his phone whilst on the Wimbledon practice courts. (Getty)

Pierre Johannessen, another lawyer representing Kyrgios, said the “precise nature of” the allegations “is neither certain at this moment nor confirmed by either the prosecution or” the 27-year-old professional tennis player.

In a statement emailed to the media, Johannessen said that “the allegations are not considered as fact” by the court, and Kyrgios is not “considered charged” with an offense until a first appearance in court.

“While Mr Kyrgios is committed to addressing any and all allegations once clear, taking the matter seriously does not warrant any misreading of the process Mr Kyrgios is required to follow,” Johannessen said.

Nick Kyrgios smiles during practice at Wimbledon ahead of his quarter-final. (Getty)

Police said the charge stemmed from an incident in December 2021.

Kyrgios is due to play Chilean Cristian Garin in the Wimbledon quarter-finals on Wednesday.

There was a lot of attention on Nick Kyrgios on the Wimbledon practice courts after it was revealed he is facing charges back home. (Getty)

An ATP spokesperson said: “The ATP is aware of the Australian case involving Nick Kyrgios but as legal proceedings are ongoing it would be inappropriate to comment further at this time.”

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published.