singer and actor Ricky Martin is scheduled to appear on Thursday in a Puerto Rico court where a judge will decide whether to extend a restraining order taken out by a man who said Martin harassed himan allegation the pop icon denies.
Judge Raiza Cajigas on July 2 issued the order after the man filed a domestic violence complaint in which he said he feared for his safety alleging Martin refused to accept his decision to end a seven-month romantic relationship.
The man claims Martin had continued calling him and loitered outside his residence.
READMORE:Kath & Kim cast come together for 20th anniversary reunion special
“We’re attending this issue with diligence, and we will be prepared in court on Thursday,” Joaquin Monserrate, one of Martin’s lawyers, said in a telephone interview.
Monserrate noted that the complaint is a civil one and that no criminal charges have been filed against Martin.
The man’s name has not been released, in accordance with domestic violence regulations. The restraining order is set to expire on July 21.
Last Friday, TMZ reported that the singer’s brother, Eric Martin, identified the alleged victim as Martin’s 21-year-old nephew, according to the Spanish news site Brand.
READMORE:Daisy Edgar-Jones’ ‘incredible’ time living in the wild
However, attorney Martin Singer asserts that Martin’s nephew is “struggling with deep mental health challenges.”
“Ricky Martin has, of course, never been – and would never be – involved in any kind of sexual or romantic relationship with his nephew,” Singer said in a statement to Variety.
“The idea is not only untrue, it is disgusting. We all hope that this man gets the help he so urgently needs. But, most of all, we look forward to this awful case being dismissed as soon as a judge gets to look at the facts.”
When the restraining order was presented on July 2, the petitioner had not been identified.
Puerto Rican outlet the spokesman reported that the action was allegedly from someone Martin had dated for seven months.
Martin, who rose to fame in the 1990s on hits like Livin’ La Vida Locawrote on Twitter on July 3 that the order had been obtained under “completely false allegations”, adding he could not comment further because it is an ongoing legal matter.
“The allegations against Ricky Martin that led to a protection order are completely false and fabricated,” Ricky’s reps also said in a statement to People.
“We are very confident that when the true facts come out in this matter our client Ricky Martin will be fully vindicated.”
The singer, who released a new EP this week titled Playis currently facing other legal troubles, with his former manager suing him for $3 million, claiming that he owes her unpaid commissions.
– Reported with Reuters and Variety.
For a daily dose of 9Honey,subscribe to our newsletter here.
Why Kate Winslet hates talking about her two divorces