Titus Day trial: Guy Sebastian's wife Jules hits back - petsitterbank

Titus Day trial: Guy Sebastian’s wife Jules hits back

Guy Sebastian’s ex-manager claimed the singer owed him $1.2 million and questioned why the pop star wasn’t charged with fraud, a court heard.

Guy Sebastian’s former manager wanted him to “disappear from his life” and questioned why the singer had not been charged with fraud because of an alleged $1.2 million debt he owed, a court has heard.

Titus Day made the remarks in July 2020 during his first interview with police, which was recorded and played on Friday in the NSW District Court.

The 49-year-old is on trial, accused of fraudulently embezzling about $900,000 in money which was allegedly owed to Mr Sebastian.

“I have [Mr Sebastian] terminated my contract,” Mr Day told Detective David Murphy after his arrest.

“Why isn’t he being picked up for fraud for not paying my commissions? I don’t understand.

“There’s about $1.2 million that’s owed. He’s walked out and told every company not to pay us.”

In the interview, Detective Murphy told Mr Day’s bank records showed that while he had been paid for work Mr Sebastian did, he repeatedly failed to pass on the correct amounts of money to the former Australian Idol winner.

“Any money that I took from the trust account would be money Guy owed me … I’ve never taken any money that I’ve not been owed,” Mr Day said.

“Sometimes money comes in and there’s bank fees, flights, accommodation and all sorts of other costs that come out.”

Mr Day said he tried to resolve his dispute with Mr Sebastian and recover the money he claimed he was owed, but failed,

“I said ‘the rest of the $1.2 million you can keep it and disappear out of my life’,” Mr Day told Detective Murphy.

When pressed about a missing portion of a $54,000 payment Mr Sebastian got for performing at a wedding in Jakarta, Mr Day said “it’s withholding tax”.

“It doesn’t sound right to me, I don’t know,” Mr Day said when asked to explain why bank records appeared to show he had withheld $147,000 Mr Sebastian was owed as part of a $494,000 deal to support a Taylor Swift tour.

After Detective Murphy said about $324,000 remained with Mr Day when it was owed to Mr Sebastian for the You Me Us and Madness tours, Mr Day said “I can’t say anything until I look at it” and “there’d bee an explanation for all of it”.

“There’s 400 pages of bank statements I’ve got to get through,” he said.

Earlier in the day Mr Sebastian’s wife Jules, a celebrity stylist and television presenter, stepped into the witness box to give evidence about events which took place in the aftermath of an alleged home invasion at her family’s Sydney home in 2012.

The court was told Ms Sebastian made a triple-0 call to police after she discovered a man allegedly trying to break into the home.

“I know I [Mr Sebastian] was holding the man that came and tried to break into my house with my nine-week old baby and when he came I know there was contact of some description but it wasn’t an intentional headbutt that I could see,” Ms Sebastian told defense barrister Dominic Toomey SC.

“There was contact of some degree.”

Mr Toomey told the court the man who allegedly attempted to break into the Sebastian’s home was charged with trespassing, but the case was thrown out of court after Ms Sebastian gave evidence.

“The triple-0 call that was played in court established that what you had said in your statement [to police] was not correct didn’t it?,” Mr Toomey asked Ms Sebastian.

She responded: “I believe I told my statement to the police as I remember it.”

Ms Sebastian told the court she did not “think” she had discussed the contents of her statement to police, about the 2012 incident, with Mr Sebastian.

When asked if she discussed concerns about her statement with Mr Day’s wife Courtney, Ms Sebastian said “possibly, I don’t remember”.

Mr Toomey said “did you tell Mrs Day that you were seeing a counselor because you had concerns about what was in your statement to police?”.

“I’ve seen counselors for various things in my life,” Ms Sebastian responded.

“The whole process was very trying and very scary and I didn’t enjoy it… it was a very hard time.”

Ms Sebastian told the court she was “shocked” to find out Mr Day had applied to have an apprehended violence order taken out against Mr Sebastian.

The court was told the AVO application, which was later withdrawn, suggested Mr Sebastian had a violent history.

Ms Sebastian said she “possibly” assumed the reference to a violent history was linked back to the 2012 home invasion incident.

“I wasn’t thinking about that… he’s not a violent man,” she said.

“I was very shocked by that. [AVO] because he’s not a violent man.”

The trial continues.

.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published.