A new strain of a potentially fatal virus which affects dogs has hit Liverpool.
The Liverpool Vets, based in Cleveland Square, stated yesterday (March 10) that two dogs had tested positive for parvovirus in 24 hours.
The charity People’s Dispensary for Sick Animals (PDSA) describes parvovirus as: “A nasty virus that attacks the intestines causing severe vomiting, diarrhea and dehydration in dogs.
READ MORE: Puppy dies from parvovirus days after owner spotted first symptom
“It’s very contagious and spreads in poo particles. Unvaccinated puppies, less than six months old, are particularly prone to parvovirus infections and often get the most severe signs.”
The Liverpool Vets said on Facebook that the virus was also affecting fully-vaccinated dogs, making them very poorly.
He said that an 18-week-old dog called Balou, which had been vaccinated at 8 and 10 weeks, was confirmed positive for the virus on Thursday.
Its Facebook post added: “Please be careful out there and if your dog has vomiting or diarrhoea, get them to the vet sooner rather than later. There is no cure for Parvo, but early support with a drip and anti sickness plus antibiotics will help .”
The warning from the Liverpool Vets come after another vets in the city warned of a spike in the virus.
Two weeks ago, a senior vet from The Vet Liverpool told the ECHO that she had noticed a spike in parvovirus cases among young dogs in the Liverpool area.
Our free Northern Agenda daily newsletter looks at the political stories that really matter across the North. It features the analysis of the Echo’s award-winning political editor Liam Thorp and the team of local democracy reporters across the North West, plus informed insight from political journalists on our sister titles in Yorkshire, Humber and the North East. The Northern Agenda is also a weekly podcast.
To sign up to the newsletter, just click on this link, enter your email address and follow the instructions.
Liz, from The Vet Liverpool, told the ECHO: “We have been treating an increased number of young vaccinated dogs who have contracted parvovirus in the Liverpool area.
“Dogs typically present with acute onset vomiting, diarrhoea, anorexia and lethargy and owners are asked to be vigilant and seek veterinary advice if they are concerned about their pet.”
Additionally, Walton resident Megan Bradley has warned pet owners to see the vet immediately if their dogs begin vomiting.
She told the ECHO in February that her five-month old Rottweiler had died after contracting parvovirus.
Receive newsletters with the latest news, sport and what’s on updates from the Liverpool ECHO by signing up here